Michigan State Historic Site
  • A. Carnegie gave $15,000 grant for building and furnishings
  • Opened in 1910 as Houghton Public Library
  • Carnegie Museum of the Keweenaw, established 2007
Weight: -20
  • Built as Houghton Masonic Temple in 1910
  • Cost $110,000 to build
  • Masonic emblems embellish the frieze, doorway, and cornerstone
  • City of Houghton Offices since 1991
Weight: -19
Michigan State Historic Site
  • Built as the First National Bank of Houghton, 1887-1889
  • Considered first commercial block building in the Copper Country¬†
  • Renovated as The Vault Hotel, 2019
Weight: -18
National Register of Historic Places
  • Douglass House, built 1899-1900
  • Douglass House Apartments, established 1984
  • Elaborate 1899 addition extended hotel to Shelden Ave.
Weight: -17
  • Built 1899-1900 as Krolls Drug Store
  • Housed various drug stores for over a century
  • Four Seasons Tea Room since 2002
Weight: -16
National Register of Historic Places
  • Shelden-Dee block, built 1899-1900
  • Designed by architect H.L. Ottenheimer
  • Currently houses businesses and apartments
Weight: -16
  • Board of Trade Tavern, built c. 1910
  • Catered to rail passengers from nearby depot
  • The Library established 1967
Weight: -16
  • Built as Houghton Club, 1910
  • Houghton Village & City offices 1933-1991
  • Historic restoration by UPEA, 1991
Weight: -16
  • Milton R. Dickens House, built 1902-1904
  • Dickens was manager of the Shelden Estate
  • One of few College Ave. homes still family owned
Weight: -11
  • Built for John L. Reese, 1899
  • Sold to Douglass Houghton descendant in 1903
  • Delta Phi Epsilon sorority, 1991
Weight: -10
  • J.B. Sturgis House, c. 1888
  • President Teddy Roosevelt visited house
  • Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity since 1974
Weight: -10
National Register of Historic Places
  • Built 1893-1896 for Ransom B. Shelden Jr.
  • Masonry porch added 1898
  • Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity since 1969
Weight: -9
  • Amphidrome, built 1902
  • Birthplace of professional ice hockey
  • Dee Stadium replaced burned Amphidrome in 1928
Weight: -8
  • Built in 1902 as the Hall Building
  • Previously occupied by Citizens National Bank and the Chicago Store
  • Currently occupied by Frank A. Douglass Agency, Inc.
Weight: -8
  • Built in 1901 as a saloon
  • Bar retains original decor including Arts & Crafts chandeliers
  • Ambassador Restaurant since 1965
Weight: -8
Michigan State Historic Site
  • Built in 1883 as firehouse & village hall
  • First Michigan Mining School classes held here in 1885
  • Renovated as restaurant and nightclub venue c. 2010
Weight: -8
  • Built 1883
  • Addition added 1939
  • Rented out to university students today
Weight: -7
  • 909 built before 1886
  • 911 built 1906
  • 913 built 1895
Weight: -7
  • Built 1863
  • Operated as a hotel for about 100 years
  • Currently used for retail businesses
Weight: -7
  • Built 1892
  • Garage added 1908
  • Became the house of the Delta Zeta sorority in 2001
Weight: -7
  • Built in 1902 by Reginald C. Pryor
  • Pryor taught at the Michigan College of Mines
  • Alpha Gamma Delta sorority since 1987
Weight: -7
  • Copper Range Railroad Passenger Depot, built 1899
  • Rail yards once extended half-mile along canal.
  • Copper Range Depot Family Restaurant, 2021
Weight: -7
  • Mineral Range Railroad Depot, 1903
  • Previously owned by the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railroad
  • U.P. Kids, c. 2010
Weight: -7
  • Built early 1900s as grocery warehouse
  • Abandoned in 1980s
  • Renovated as Michigan Tech's Lakeshore Center, 2009
Weight: -7
  • Built 1899 as the James Dee Building
  • Original post office and home to Daily Mining Gazette
  • Converted to the Gazette apartments in 1980
Weight: -7
  • Built between 1888 and 1893
  • Typical gable fronted building of late 1800s
Weight: -5
  • Houghton County Courthouse built 1886-1887
  • Interior reflects Charles Eastlake influence
  • Mansard roof clad in local copper tiles
Weight: -5
  • Trinity Episcopal Church, built 1910
  • New entrance added 1985
  • 6,800 sq.ft. annex added 2000
Weight: -5
  • Built 1910
  • Second owner was a local mining captain
  • Currently houses the Sigma Pi Fraternity Zeta Epsilon Chapter
Weight: 0
  • Built 1900
  • Home of the Charleston House Historic Inn 1995
  • Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity 2005
Weight: 0
  • Built c. 1901 for the Young family
  • Lot originally held a log cottage
  • Current building replaced one lost to fire in 1900
Weight: 0
  • Swift's Hardware warehouse
Weight: 0