205 Montezuma Avenue
205 E. Montezuma Ave. Houghton MI 49931
Get directions

205 E. Montezuma Avenue

Trinity Episcopal Church, built 1910
New entrance added 1985
6,800 sq.ft. annex added 2000

"Many of the Cornish miners, storekeepers and mining captains who immigrated to this area during the Copper Country mining boom (1842-1860) were Anglicans. On July 17, 1860, the Reverend Samuel A. McCoskry, Episcopal Bishop of Michigian, met with nine Houghotn and Hancock businessmen to establish a parish. The group held its first public worship servies on September 15, 1860. At its first vestry meeting on July 13, 1861, the name Trinity Church was adopted. . . . " Michigan historic site marker - In Progress

On July 17, 1860,  a group of nine businessmen from Houghton and Hancock helped the Reverend Samuel A. McCorsky establish an Anglican parish. Between 1842 and 1860, Cornish miners, who were predominantly of the Anglican faith, immigrated to the area because of the copper boom. The first worship service took place on September 15, 1860 and was open to the public. They began meeting in a church in Hancock and on July 13, 1861, the parish adopted the name Trinity Church. The parish continued to worship for several decades and eventually built the current church building that stands to this day. The construction of Trinity Episcopal Church was completed in 1910. It was designed by the architect  John B. Sutcliffe in a Gothic Revival style. The church is built of dark brick Jacobsville sandstone and trimmed with red sandstone. The building features a bell tower that is topped with crenellations. The interior features the design style of the Oxford Movement. The sanctuary’s attractive wood carvings are the handiwork of Aloysius Lang of Oberammergau. In 1985, a new entrance was added and a 6,800 square foot addition was constructed in 2000.

Sources: Copper Country Architects; Historic Houghton Walking Tour; Image: The Episcopal Diocese of Northern Michigan. (n.d.). Trinity Episcopal Church Houghton. Episcopal Diocese of Northern Michigan. Retrieved July 10, 2024.

Style:
Gothic Revival
Architect:
John B. Sutcliffe
Contractor:
Addition by Hitch, Inc. 2000