409 Shelden Avenue
409 Shelden Avenue, Houghton, MI 49931
Get directions

409 Shelden Avenue

Built 1863
Operated as a hotel for about 100 years
Currently used for retail businesses

In its early days, this hall was used to house members of the fraternal organization, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. - In Progress

In 1859, German immigrant William Miller arrived in Houghton. He began working as a member of the Village Council and assisted in organizing the first fire department in Houghton. In 1863, he built a hotel at 409 Shelden Avenue for $15,000. He was the proprietor of the self-named Miller’s Hall. The hotel expanded in 1867 and added a saloon on the first floor and a public gathering space on the second. Additionally, the upstairs was used as quarters for the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. 

Miller's Hall was originally three stories high, but now stands at five. It was constructed on a stone foundation and its wooden exterior was painted white. The building's street side features a balcony extending across the second floor.

It remained a hotel for about 100 years under a number of owners and a number of names. It was known as the Hotel Pfeiffer in 1900, the Hotel Knauf in 1908, the Cloverland Hotel in 1928, and finally Bruno’s Hotel in 1953. Between 1967 and 1970 the building that had long stood as a hotel became Jerry's Bar which operated until 1973 and then became the Longshot Bar. Since 1996, Miller’s Hall has been occupied by various businesses.

Sources: History of UP: Historic Houghton Walking Tour